Thursday, June 27, 2013

Favorite Moments: Part I


This week, I’ve been trying to implement some team-building and time for reflection into our family-style dinners (or post-dinner nail painting parties) each evening at the restaurant in our hotel. Last night I asked some of the team members about their favorite moments thus far, and the question resulted in an hour-long group memory share. Here are some of the highlights:

Katya (a rising 2nd year medical student) said: “I loved seeing the excited look on the kids’ faces as our bus pulled up to each village- they glowed. One girl took my hand the second we stepped onto the field during the first break, and she squeezed my hand every few seconds so I would look at her and smile. The smile she gave back to me was dazzling.”

Lindsey (a rising 2nd year pharmacy student) said: “My favorite moment was watching Cory run down the hill with the football (soccer ball) we were donating to the village. Every single boy in the school laughed, cheered, and ran down the hill next to him- I’ve never seen so many happy faces.”

Sarah (a rising 2nd year physical therapy student) said: “When we asked the students what their favorite thing about living in Ghana is, they said ‘love.’ It was simple and pure.”

Kristina (a rising 2nd year pharmacy student) said: “It meant so much to me to see how content all the Ghanaians are with the lives they lead. They’re appreciative of every little thing we do for them, and they want the best, not only for themselves, but for everyone else in their country, as well.”

Alicia (a rising 2nd year physical therapy student) said: “I loved teaching the students our names and finding out theirs. We don’t understand each other all the time, but we find other ways to communicate- smiles, holding hands, giving high fives, and so many hugs.”

Amanda (a rising 2nd year medical student) said: “It’s so indicative of the nature of the people in Ho that religion is a centerpiece of the community, but anyone, regardless of his or her religious persuasion, is welcomed with open arms.”

I can't wait to post the rest of the team's thoughts, memories, and favorite moments over the next few days. Keep an eye out for a post comprised of the funniest moments, too- there are many!

The team outside the monkey sanctuary- one of my favorite moments!
~Shikha

No comments:

Post a Comment